Normally I see photo contests as being a great way to get publicity. Their prizes aren’t generally great or enough money to cover the self addressed stamp envelope. If you have these sames gripes about contests, then check out the Eye on the Strand photo contest. I’m really surprised to see how amazing the prize actually is…. good luck everyone!
There are 24 chances to win. Prizes include an afternoon with internationally renowned photographer Mary Ellen Mark; 50 Aperture photography books; a group exhibit at Pratt CCPS Gallery; a digital photography or computer graphics course at Pratt CCPS; a $350 B&H Photo gift card; a $250 J. Crew gift card; $100 gift certificate from Blurb; assorted Strand gift cards and much more.
All entries must be submitted as digital files. Emailed photographs will not be accepted. One person may enter up to 3 (three) photographs and complete the entry form with the required information.
Contest is open to all, aged 18 and above. Employees of Strand, Aperture and Pratt, or members of their respective families, are only eligible to participate in the Employee Category. The Contest is void where prohibited. For important information and size requirements, see the Official Contest Rules.
Submission deadline is Friday, February 27, 2009 at 11:59PM US EST. 3 Winners, 20 Finalists and 1 Viewer’s Choice Award winner will be notified of the contest results in June, 2009. All 24 winning images will be unveiled at a group exhibition of the winning photographs at the Pratt CCPS Gallery in July, 2009.
- Lesley A. Martin, Publisher & Editor, Aperture Books
- Cheryl Stockton, Pratt Institute Adjunct Professor, Photography & Digital Imaging
- Charlie Rhyne, Strand Book Store Photo Book Buyer
- Paul Amador, co-owner, Cohen Amador Gallery
- Jeffrey Ladd, photographer & creator of 5B4 Photography and Books
- Darren Ching, Creative Director of Photo District News, & Co-Owner, Klompching Gallery